Enso Verde represents a creative collaboration between two exemplary not-for-profit organizations, the San Francisco Zen Center and The Kendal Corporation, through their subsidiaries Zen Inspired Senior Living LLC (ZISL) and Kendal Aging.
About the San Francisco Zen Center (SFZC)
- Established in 1962 by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi (1904-1971), the author of one of the classic books on Zen Buddhism: Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind.
- One of the largest residential Soto Zen Buddhist Community outside of Asia.
- SFZC exists to express, make accessible and embody the wisdom and compassion of the Buddha.
- Founder of Greens Restaurant, the renowned vegetarian restaurant in San Francisco’s Fort Mason Center.
Three Practice Places:
- Beginners Mind Temple located in the heart of San Francisco.
- Green Dragon Temple in Marin County.
- Tassajara Zen Mountain Center in the Ventana Wilderness.
- Kendal is a leading, not-for-profit provider of communities, programs and services that advocates for and empowers older adults to achieve their full potential. Kendal’s mission is “Together, transforming the experience of aging.®”
- Enso Verde will be a Kendal affiliate and part of the federal-style Kendal System of senior communities founded on Quaker principles and values. In the federal model, The Kendal Corporation has responsibilities for coordination and facilitation of the System as a whole—it is not a centralized or directive authority. The System aims to provide the best of both worlds: sensitivity and responsiveness to local environments and culture combined with the advantages of being part of a larger, values-based network of organizations.
- Each Kendal affiliate is governed by its own local volunteer board of directors, which retains complete control of all of that affiliate’s assets.
- With more than 50 years of experience, Kendal has helped develop communities offering all levels of living with various financial models to help individuals offset future health care expenses.
- Kendal supports a spirit of inclusion that welcomes all cultures, backgrounds and differences to live and work in our communities in an environment that promotes mutual respect, acceptance, cooperation and teamwork.
• Kendal at Oberlin
• Kendal at Home (Ohio and No. Kentucky)
• Barclay Friends
• Kendal at Lexington
• The Lathrop Communities
• Kendal at Home
• Kendal at Hanover
• Kendal at Ithaca
• Kendal on Hudson
• Enso Village (under development)
• The Admiral at the Lake
A Proven Pathway
Enso Verde will follow in the footsteps of Enso Village in Healdsburg, Sonoma County, which is currently in development and coming to life in 2023.
The first collaboration between SFZC and Kendal and the nation’s first Zen-inspired Life Plan Community, Enso Village has attracted a passionate and committed first generation of residents.
Response to the Enso Village concept has been unprecedented and enormously gratifying, proving the validity of our belief in the value of a more open, optimistic and accepting approach to aging.
Highlights of the Enso Village Introduction
- Currently 100% reserved PLUS a wait list for select residences
- Maintained 95%+ reserved status prior to breaking ground
- Voted 2021 Best Senior Housing Community in Builder Magazine’s 2021 “Gold Nugget” Awards
The Right Decision Start with the Right Information
We’ve created an informative community brochure that will introduce you to Zen-inspired senior living coming soon to Ventura County. You’ll learn about our partnership with the San Francisco Zen Center and The Kendal® Corporation, the advantages of a Life Plan Community, our uniquely different values and practices, benefits of living at our community, and much more!